Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Job hunting. STILL. (Circa April, 2011)

I realize now that looking back on this isn’t going to capture the moment. I spent 6 weeks looking for work in Des Moines, and for the first week it as nice to finally be able to relax. I had time to get laundry caught up, get the house in order (now that I had been shoe-horned into a space barely big enough to hold it’s current occupants), and it was nice.

After that first week, I was climbing the walls. I wanted to be working, if for no other reason than boredom.

After the second week, I started the gently despair. I knew it was very soon to do so, but here I was in my new life, with my new family, NOT CONTRIBUTING. Oh sure I did laundry and dishes and kept house and did absolutely anything and everything possible to do SOMETHING, but I had no income. My 401k came through as well as the security deposit for my old place, which helped, but I felt more than a little useless.

A couple interviews rolled through, coming to nothing. I tried hard not to get too far down, but it wasn’t easy. It never is, but this felt almost as bad as the 10 weeks back in 2008 where I went without work. Agencies were turning up sales jobs that I’m not suited for, Customer service that paid enough for gas but little else. It was awful.

Then a ray of sunshine. A job popped up at Office team in Des Moines for a maternity leave cover. I got a phone interview… and in 8 minutes they wanted me! YES!!! Back to the working world!

That was the nutshell of my first job search in Iowa. Second one is coming up July 5th. Wish me luck!

No comments: