Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Dress shopping and Synning!

So! The dress has at last been pilfer… er, purchased! Hey, after the haggling I did for this, pilfered is close!

The day started with lunch at this lovely little Indian place, Tiffan, with Xap and George, my shoppoing henchman, and Raven, because all us birds have to eat. George, former roommate and lovely in short hair which I’m still getting used to, was taken aback by Xap and I, which was adorable. Xap and IO were in rare form, gearing up for Pixie invasion the fiollowing Tuesday at Life Force Arts, then WisCon on Memorial day weekend.

Then off across the street to one of the many, MANY places to go Sari shopping, Taj Sari palace, recommended to me by Thistle. We walked in, and I wanted it all wrapped up in a bag to take home with me. ALL OF IT. We were surrounded by color and beauty and gorgeous embroidery and I wanted it ALL. We moved through the bargain wracks, finding things that were close to the necklace that my sister had purchased for me in New Mexico. Finally, the lady behind the county started bringing things out for us, and I looked up. There was one particular sari that was peaking out amongst the others in a stack, and I asked to see it. IT was the ONLY one of that color that caught my eye. She spread it out before us, and I knew. Right then, I knew that was the one I was going to be married in. Nothing else would do.

Then I looked at the pricetag. And it was ON. She cut the asking price in half because of a sale, which was great, but my budget was set, and I wasn’t moving (mostly because I couldn’t). In the end, the price dropped $500 (SQUEAK!). And off I went with what would soon become my wedding dress as soon as I got a hold of Amy Dostia, seamstress extraordinaire! Even now I’m still vibrating over it!

The afternoon was spent at Guitar Center, where Raven wanted me to try out a mic he thought would work for me onstage for Cheshire Moon. I was glad to, because I love Eric, but the SM58 is his mic. We tried a couple different, comparing Old Faithful (the SM58) to the Encore Blue 100 (decent sound but not as powerful as I need it to be. I couldn’t unload on this without it objecting), the Encore 200 (requires phantom power, which is a fowner, but also has a compression aspect that I don’t’ like. The main reasoin for having a unidriedctional mic for me is so that Eric’s acoustic instruments don’t get picked up by my mic. He plays hard enough, he doesn’t need to assistance), and one other that I can’t remember. Finally, we got to the Senhaisser e835. JOY. A Hypoer-cardiod with a solid range pick up, and VERY unidirectional. I come off that top axis, and sound pick-up goes AWAY. It’s glorious. I just have to keep it in line, and it’s also not as pop-prone as the SM58. Wheee!!!

After that, Raven and I flew off to Synphoria. Admittedly, a small crowd for a Saturday night, and more new faces than old, which was slightly sad. I was hoping to reconnect with more people, but got to meet people and forge new connections, which rocked out. Raven had aq good time as well, and I hope that he will continue to go to Syn without me so that he can continue to enjoy it. It’s a beautiful experience.

Got home Sunday despite headwind from HELL (insert echo effect here), and showed my findings to Eric, who squeed. Yes, I showed my wedding dress to my fiancĂ© before the ceremony. I’m also getting married in a sari and I have no heritage connected to India at all. We’re getting married at a convention, and the real reception will be at another con where as many people as can attend can help us celebrate. You think I’m concerned about your traditional tradition? Off with you now, else you shall feel my wings! I may be small, but I am…. actually very small. As WSPA-2 has shown me recently by catching up to me in height. Oy, that child! <3

No comments: