Friday, August 28, 2009

So passeth a man worthy.

It seems death is making a list not unlike Santa's this year. The good ones are getting checked off, and the latest was one we really couldn't afford to lose just yet. His work is left undone, and so it passes to all of us who thought well of him to carry on in his stead.

Edward "Ted" Kennedy had a way of ruffling feathers. He was much like Harvey Keitel in that you either loved him or hated him. But like so many, he knew where he stood, and he stood on the side of equality, of justice, and he had the guts to speak up even when every other voice on his side was silent. Would that we could all have such strength in the trying times ahead. Compelling and engaging, it took a brain tumor to slow him down, much like it took my own grandfather. I don't think of Ted in that way, but I do know what it's like to watch a good, strong man wither away into a mere shell before my eyes. My heart is with his family now as they grieve, much as I did two years ago.

So passeth a man worthy. Rest well, Ted. You've earned it. Your work will continue.

No comments: