Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Faerie Worlds Apart

Flying always kills me. I’m still sleep deprived after my second night home. Pacific time set in on my system just in time for Central to kick me back over like a can on the street.

But worth it. So very, very worth it.

The heat was reminisce of the desert, not the Pacific Northwest. It was 106 on the ground. Walking out of the airport was like walking into truck backwash. I could practically drink the air, and it burned. Oh, how it burned. The drive down was filled with laughter and song and “Thirteen” (http://www.vixyandtony.com/music.html) and “Mythcreants” (http://www.trickypixie.com/merch.php), along with new friend, Foxy. Considering I went by Crowe for almost the whole fest, it felt good that others like me knew their names and used them as I did.

We got to Portland just in time for hair dying and SLEEP. Sleep with big cats and really awesome attics and bumblebees. We awoke in the Hive to happy belly goodness of bagels with lox and cream cheese. Then we hung out, packing cars and making lists, checking as many times as it took to hit the road running. After grabbing all we needed, we set out upon our journey to Eugene and everything after.

Camp held new faces and kindred spirits alike. Fire kindled, altars set against the greet evergreens around us, walking the circle of our tribe to ensure its protection and sanctity. And in the great conifers within our fortress of love, my laughing brother birds fluttered and sang, waking me the next morning to the sunlight, the waning starlight, and the readying for our trip to FW.

Surrounded was I at once by color and light and sound, pan flutes playing on the winds, Fae of every shape and size and manner prancing about and dancing, wings floating on the breeze. Blessed breeze. It’s the only thing that kept us all from falling over in the sunlight. There is no sun in Faerie, not really...but I disgress.

I fluttered about, a Gaselli at play, coin belt jingling my presence into the ethers. It was a day of watering can blessings and fanciful creations given life and light. Wood nymphs danced as much as stood still, children running and playing with the inner children of those grown tall. Stilt walkers and sprites sang out their joy, pirates and steampunk minions mingling with Jerith and Froudlings.

My only downward moment was under the shade tent in the late day, pulling my skirt wide to shield a friend from the harsh sun’s rays as he ate and tried to recover from overheating. He is well, thank the stars, but we were all quite concerned. He did get better, drinking plenty and resting much, his voice ringing out in laughter again soon enough.

And so the sun rose and set upon the first day at Faerie Worlds.

The next day was much the same, though Bad Faerie’s day was one of mischief. Instead of bad Faerie I just went with Baddass. I think it worked well…



But the day proved too much for me, so coyote and I headed back to camp for shade, cold drinks, and talk. Talk we did in fact, of socks and shipmates and storytelling, cabbage heads and kingdoms. We were joined by other of the camp, also seeking refuge form the sun, and bearing whisky and watermelon. The night rang out with our laughter as we shared the cool night. And so the sun rose and the sun set on the second day of Faerie worlds.

The next morning held a sigh for me. I was headed off toward the airport come sunset, but not before packing and making merriment with my new tribemates one last time. And so we did, Monochromatic Faeries, we!



We frolicked and played one last time to the winding ways of Gaia Consort, and then the brick hit me in the face. I got the message that lit the fire beneath my feet and set the tears to my eyes. Chaldean was dying. I had to get home. I talked with Thistle as best I could, not looking at my emotions until the phone was shut in my hands, crumbling onto the dried grass in the arms of my Coyote brother. I will never be able to thank him enough for that moment, that solace, that shelter. But he let me purge and set me on my way, fast feet carrying me home.

Home too late, but goodbyes still said. I’m so thankful for that much. Got home to the kittens, who were VERY happy to see me1 So happy they haven’t left me alone yet, but I’m not complaining.

Such an experience. I’m definitely going next year to ensure the transition is a good one. Selling out the old venue and changing locations a month before the event was not the BEST choice, but it happens. I’m willing to give it a second try to see if they can get their act together complete with applicable SHADE….

No comments: