Tuesday, September 1, 2009

What did you do today?

I did dishes.

I’m one of those people that needs quantifiable, tangible accomplishment every single day, or I will go absolutely nuts.

I have worked at jobs in the past where I could work all day and I could explain to you exactly what I did, but there would no way for you to prove, no real way I could really prove, it, but I did it. It sucked. So I went home everyday and did dishes. I watched a sink full of dishes dwindle down to nothing and the stack of clean dishes piled up into this really cool pyramid thing, but I DID something. Or I’d clean the catbox. Or take out the trash. I accomplished something.

I mean, when I walk into my workplace every day, I don’t think, “Hey, I went to work today. “ No. Work is an opportunity to do something. With work for me, you have two options: you accomplish something, or you fuck off. What you accomplish isn’t always in your job description… My job title is in essence sales. I sell a product. What I DO everyday is grab teachers by the arm and say, “You gotta see this!” I help teachers get something they need, something they want, and something that will serve them. I put something in front of teachers and say, “This is where you are, this is what you do, this is what you WANT to do, this is where you WANT to go, and THIS program will help you get there. This will work for you. Why are you not already here?”

If I don’t accomplish something over the course of a day, I feel awful. I feel like I am wasting my life. Not just my time, but my life, because what is time but a part of life? Therefore my life get wasted when my time gets wasted. And that is completely unacceptable. So I go home and I do something. I finish something. If I get hit by a car tomorrow, my life is over, poof done, I will be able to say, “ I accomplished something.”

What did you do today? If you don’t have an answer right now, that’s ok. Continuing to not have an answer is not ok.

DO SOMETHING. Do something that you love. Do something that makes you smile. Do something that makes you proud to stand up and say, “YES! I did that.” But DO something. Even if it is as simple as dishes. Because at the end of the day it does not matter what you think. It does not matter what you intend. It doesn’t even matter what you say. Talk is cheap and I believe. I talk for LIVING, and I believe that. It is not what you say. It is about what you DO. What did YOU DO today?

You’ve got time. What COULD you do?

No comments: